Monday, September 6, 2010

Spring Has Sprung



So it's basically summer time again. Winter has passed and the sun in all her glory and wisdom, has decided to rear her beautiful warm face over us once more. Jeepers I love global warming. This time of the year seems like the perfect time to reflect on the season passed, and look forward to the heat wave ahead.

So here we go. Winter was bang average and wet. Good, that takes care of reflection. Now for the uncontrollable excitement of summer time.

I'm struggling to type right now, and my heart is literally thumping through my chest. I love summer. There is nothing better than sitting on Cliffies 1 - also know as 'Cougar Island' - on a steamy hot day, feeling the crunching sand between your toes. I mean, walk along the beach, or stretch to make that vital save in a game of 'bat and ball'. Just live it I say. Once you've built up a solid sweat, hit the waves. Feel the cold water pound against your head. There is nothing more refreshing. After cooling down rock a few killer body surfs. I'm not the surfing type, so body surfing is as far as I go.

Hiking up Lion's Head is another favourite pass time of mine. It only works in summer though. Hiking in the winter cold is ridiculous. Why would I want to get layered up like an onion, and then go sweat on a mountain in crispy cold air? I need to wear a wife beater and shorts when I work out, that's the only way. The water at the top tastes just that much sweeter in summer too.

Cricket also gets played during summer. Thinking about sitting on the grass banks at Newlands, draught in hand, and cooking under the sweltering sun, makes me very happy. Watch the game, or don’t, I doesn’t really matter, just enjoy the electric vibe. Being a stone’s throw away from Claremont is another tick in this box. I think everybody should enjoy a day at Newlands, it is impossible to be disappointed afterwards.

So there we have it. Probably the three greatest things to do in summer. Hit the beach, climb a mountain and watch a cricket game. By accomplishing those three feats you will have inadvertently have enjoyed a summer of peace and love. And at the end of the day, nothing else matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment